Our Baby

2 years and counting......

Monday, July 19, 2010

A mound of paperwork, and more paperwork, and more paperwork.......

So I had a telephone conference with our Social Worker today, to go over all the additional paperwork that came with our Letter of Acceptance. Wow. We can now apply for our visa to travel to China! We have other paperwork regarding her vaccinations, that has to be signed and notarized. Thank goodness, that one will be easy. Then, paperwork to apply for her passport and visa, sign these pages, but wait and sign these pages in China. Make copies of this but not that. And the pen that we sent you in the mail, make sure you use it now and you take it with you. You have to use the pen in China! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PENS I GO THROUGH IN A DAY! I LOSE PENS ALL THE TIME! What pressure! All signatures in black ball point ink! Then, lets see- there is the matter of paperwork for the US to recognize her as an orphan. Then, she must have paperwork for her medical exam. Make sure to call the travel agency and tell them you have your Letter of Acceptance, and we are just waiting on your travel invitation from China! OH MY LORD! And then, lets go over the the I600, the I604, DS-230 part 1 and 2; the I-864W, and the brown envelope (not to be confused with the clear envelope). Wait, I don't even have those forms yet! I am trying to breathe, one page at a time, I will get it done.
I stay buried in paperwork everyday at Cancer Care. I have a Master's Degree. I spent 3 years doing paperwork for school. Nothing has ever been so overwhelming or intimidating to me. One little mistake can carry HUGE consequences. Bethany is really good- they try to make it as easy as possible- lots of examples- but I can't help being worried about this.

6 comments:

  1. I lost that PEN! Just joking! That is insane that we must guard that pen like the Holy Grail! Geeez, just more pressure to add to the pressure we are already under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...I can't even imagine the pressure you both are under. A pen...wow! Who knew a pen would be so valuable. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Pen" is truly more powerful than the sword! I knew that meant something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember that line in SAY ANYTHING; "I gave her my heart, and she gave me a pen." In the movie, he said it like it was a bad thing. Maybe it was actually one of those special pens, and she had really done him a great service. Now I finally get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've have always said this has been more work and more overwhelming than the thesis for my masters degree!! :) Have fun!!! I know exactly what your talking about!! Praying for ya! -Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Say Anything", those 80's movies with John Cusack! I miss the 80's and those who know me know just how much. And yes, I do remember that line. I just need a boom box and a trench coat and go stand outside the Immigration office with it over my head playing loudly expressing my discontent with them losing some of our paperwork!

    ReplyDelete